Map of Southampton
St. John's Church is located at 100 South Main Street in Southampton.
You can find us on the map below:
St. John's Episcopal Church at Easter time, 2003
8:00 A.M. - Holy Communion
9:00 A.M. - Holy Communion & Sunday School
11:00 A.M. - Morning Prayer (Holy Communion 1st Sunday)
(When St. Andrew's Dune Church is open during
the summer, the 11:00 A.M. service is suspended)
10:00 A.M. - Holy Communion
The Parish Staff
Rector - The Reverend Peter M. Larsen
Organist & Choirmaster - Richard A. Smid
Secretary - Bette-Jean Schreier
Sexton & Groundskeeper - George Kirkitsos
Parish Office Telephone (631)283-0549
Rectory Telephone (631)283-5650
Parish Office Fax (631)283-4491
Mailing Address: PO Box 5068, Southampton, NY 11969-5068
Internet Address http://www.stjohnsouthampton.org
Rector's e-mail address: email@example.com
Dana Ficara, Senior Warden
Elizabeth Deneny, Junior Warden
History of St. John's Church in Southampton
The land upon which St.John's is located was first purchased
by Thomas Topping from the Shinnecock Indians who inhabited this area in
1650. In succeeding generations it passed from several Toppings, Howells,
Herricks and Rogers until 1911 when the owner at that time, Albert Foster,
sold it to the Mission of St. John's Church. The Mission, under Vicar
Samuel C. Fish, had been established in 1908, and was temporarily holding
services in the Parrish Art Museum. The purchase price was $8000.
Ground breaking ceremony for a new church took place on August 18, 1912,
and construction began that October, with an estimated cost of $16,680.
The Reverend Samuel Fish served the parish for 29 years, being succeeded
then by Rev. Marland Zimmerman. Other Rectors of St. John's have been Rev.
Alexander Hawke in 1943, Rev. Hobart June Gary in 1957, Rev. Malcolm L.
Foster in 1966, and our present Rector, Rev. Peter M. Larsen in 1988.
The Church building remains today much as it was in 1912. The connecting
Parish House was built in 1962.
The Rectory of St.John's, on adjoining property to the Church, was begun
by the Topping family in 1730. It is now a wing of the Rectory and houses
the dining room with its original wainscoting and oven-fireplace. The
main part of the house was built in 1750. An alteration in 1918 added
the upstairs verge.